Allergy Aware Alerts

The Strait Regional Centre for Education makes every effort to support students and staff with severe allergies and scent sensitivities through staff training, various accommodations and information-sharing within our school communities. 

We are asking for your ongoing cooperation to foster a safe and healthy learning environment for all students and staff.­­

Throughout schools in the Strait Region, there are a number of students and staff who have severe and life-threatening allergies to food and scents.  At our school, there are the following Allergy Aware Alerts:

Egg Aware Alert Image  Fish Aware Alert   Latex Aware Alert Image  Nut Aware Alert ImageScent Aware Alert ImageShellfish Aware Alert Image

Avoiding the allergen is key to preventing an allergic reaction. Therefore, the best way to provide a safe environment is to enlist the support of our students, staff and parents/guardians.  There are a number of measures that you and your child/children can take to ensure the safety of all members of our school community:

  • Wash hands with soap and water before eating, and wash hands and rinse mouth after eating (including breakfast and snacks);
  • Read food labels and learn how to identify allergen ingredients.  If you are unsure about a product, choose something else.  For information on the many common names that identify allergen ingredients on food labels, refer to the Health Canada Fact Sheets at: In addition, please refer to the Food Allergy Canada (formerly Anaphylaxis Canada) website at;  
  • Teach your child not to share food, drink or utensils with classmates;
  • Encourage your child to help clean their eating area after meals and snacks;
  • Allergies are serious! Never play tricks or dare friends with allergies to try foods;
  • Avoid products that have a scent/odour. For more information and resources, please visit the Canadians for a Safe Learning Environment website at; and
  • Get help, if your friend with an allergy or scent sensitivity doesn't feel well.

We recognize that creating and maintaining an allergy-aware and scent-aware school takes effort and diligence on everyone’s part. Thank you for your cooperation and assistance as we work together to make a safe, healthy and welcoming learning environment for all students, staff and families.